Just like in any other country, a valid driver’s licence (DL) is required in India if you want to drive a two-wheeler or a four-wheeler.
A driving licence is an official document issued by the Regional Transport Office, or RTO for short, permitting an individual to operate any motor vehicle in India. It is usually the size of a credit card and is laminated. Operating a vehicle without a valid DL is considered an offence in India.
In this post, we will discuss the steps involved in getting a permanent driver’s permit in India.
Let’s get started!
Step 1: Apply for a Learning Licence first
To get a permanent driving license, the individual must first get a learner’s licence. A learning licence (LL) is the first step toward getting a permanent driving licence. You can apply for an LL online or by visiting the nearest RTO office in your city.
- The online process for learner’s licence (LL)
To apply for a learning permit online, here are the steps to follow-
- Visit the official Sarathi website and select ‘New Driving Licence’ and follow the instructions.
- Note down the application number before submitting the form online.
- You will be required to submit scanned copies of your age-proof* and address-proof* (birth certificate, PAN card, electricity bill, etc.)
- Schedule your learner’s licence test date online and pay the online fees for which you will get a receipt.
- Go to the RTO office on the day of the test with the receipt and give the test.
- Visiting the RTO office to get a learner’s licence (LL), or applying offline
- Fill out the application form and attach the required documents.
- Visit your nearest RTO to submit your application form along with the fees.
- Ask the RTO official to schedule a learner’s licence test.
- Arrive for the test on the given date and time.
- After you successfully pass the test, the learner’s licence will be sent to your mailing address.
Step 2: Getting a Permanent Driving Licence (DL)
You can apply for a permanent driving DL after 30 days and within 180 days of getting your learner’s permit.
- The online process for driving licence (DL) in India
- Visit the official Sarathi website and download the driving licence application form.
- Fill out the form as instructed and upload the documents required (age-proof* and address-proof*)
- Note down the application number before submitting the form online which can be used to track your application status online.
- Visiting the RTO office to apply for a permanent driving licence (applying offline)
- Obtain Form 4 which is the application form for a motor vehicle driving licence from the nearest RTO.
- Fill out the form and attach other documents required such as address-proof* and age-proof*.
- Schedule a driving test and pay the fee for the test.
- Attend the driving test venue on the scheduled date and time.
- Once you clear the test your driving licence will be sent to your registered address.
*Address-proof (any one of the following)
- Aadhar card
- Electricity bill
- Voter id card
- Ration card
*Age-proof (any one of the following)
- Birth certificate
- PAN card
- Class 10th mark sheet
And that’s it! Once complete, you can get on the roads with your brand new driving licence – enjoy!